Exosomes : Beyond Stem Cells
The cutting edge therapy that is the next step beyond stem cells is called Exosomes. They are considered the leading advancement in Regenerative Medicine.
Exosomes are derived from the placenta and the umbilical core.
Exosomes are tiny packets of proteins (growth messengers), secreted by stem cells. They are the way that stem cells tell the other tissues and cells to regenerate.
These packets are 40-100 nanometers (billionths of a meter) in size and contain fats, messenger-RNA and signaling cytokines to help trigger a regenerative response in various cells. They are the messages sent by stem cells to stimulate all the seemingly miraculous effects that have been seen in stem cell therapies
They are involved in a wide range of physiological processes including cellular protection, cell injury repair and regenerative properties.
- Stroke is the leading cause of death and disability worldwide.
- Parkinson’s disease is the second most common neurodegenerative disease.
- Osteoarthritis is a progressive degenerative joint disease characterized by wear and tear leading to cartilage destruction in the joints.
On top of the benefits that have been shown from treating these diseases, an additional positive attribute of Exosomes is that they have been shown to easily enter the brain due to their small size. This makes it possible for them to cross the Blood/Brain barrier.
This means that they can offer benefit in treating the neurodegenerative diseases.
- Exosomes can be administered by IV or injected in to joints.
- Increasing evidence suggests stem cell derived Exosomes are important communicators among cells. These techniques allow for the isolation of beneficial signals given out by stem cells and using them, rather than the stem cells themselves, for use as a next generation therapy.
- For this reason, this therapy can be given to cancer patients, whereas stem cells cannot.
Comment from Dr. Eslinger about this new therapy
The reason I am so excited to be offering this new cutting edge therapy is the broad range of diseases and conditions that it can treat. It is showing itself to have anti-infective, anti-inflammatory and anti-tumor effects in previous and ongoing studies overseen by the FDA at a major medical institution. This is truly the next generation of non-toxic regenerative therapy beyond stem cells to benefit a broad range of medical conditions. All without using any medication.
This therapy is being supervised by the Mayo Clinic under an IRB (institutional review board) for research overseen by the FDA. They are approved for the treatment of osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis.
In addition to this, there are more studies being done at other prestigious institutions under 12 more IRB’s investigating possible benefits in treating heart disease and heart failure, chronic obstructive lung disease (COPD), increasing speed of fracture healing and cancer
If this therapy is something you would be interested in, call our office at 775 829-1009 to schedule an appointment with Dr. Eslinger.
If you have specific questions you would like addressed, please fill out the form below and our liaison services will respond.